Monogram

Monogram

Thursday 25 November 2010

How long is a piece of string?

What makes a bird a bird? My answer is beauty, elegance and power but what we forget is what makes beauty and elegance? Many would say simplicity and it is for this reason that I have made my entire set of wings for my project with simply One material in One technique with One purpose in mind: the humble piece of string.

I take a piece of string- about 6 inches or so in length. I tie a knot. I take another piece of string- also about 6 inches in length- and I tie a knot. I take a piece of string, the most humble of materials, and tie a knot. I take a string, a short string, and tie into it a small knot. I take a piece of string and I tie a knot- ad infinitum. 

The result of this is a beautiful feathery piece which I now coat in thin PVA glue and once dry this provides a quaint and puzzeling board of solid strings. This becomes one of four parts of a wing.

Beauty through purity achieved.



Stewart L.V.


"Carpe diem quam minimum credulo postero" -Horace








Copyright Stewart L.V.

No comments:

Post a Comment